Grid is committed to transparency. We collect and use data, including personal information, to provide the best experience and most relevant content to our readers. The purpose of this policy is to be clear about how we collect, share, and use personal information, and the choices you can make about any information that we collect from or about you. This Policy applies to grid.news, Grid mobile applications, Grid newsletters, and any other site, application, or device that directly links to the Policy (collectively our “Site”).
Grid also contracts with third parties to provide services that support our products, Site, and apps. Additional information and disclosures may be available from these third parties. You should review these disclosures to understand how they might apply to you.
Information We Collect
When you interact with our Site and through our advertising and media across the internet and mobile apps, we may collect different types of information from you. Information includes both information you submit and information collected automatically, and it may include personal information (e.g., name, phone number, email address, and certain payment information), technical information (e.g., device identifier, IP address, browser type, operating system), and usage information.
The different ways we may get information about you and the type of information we may collect (all of which together will be referred to in this Policy as the “Information”) include:
- When you register for newsletters: name, email address, city, state, zip code, interests, age, industry, company, title.
- When you register for text messages: name, phone number, city, state, zip code, interests, age, industry, company, title.
- When you visit our website, use our app, or open a newsletter, we collect information automatically, including by using cookies, pixel tags, and other technology, including: what type of device you are using, screen size, browser type, language and other settings, memory capacity, plug-ins, internet domain, TCP configuration parameters, operating system, carrier code, time zone, as well as the names, versions, and package IDs of software installed on your device and other settings. We also may record the date and time of these interactions; your IP address; what devices, browser, or email client you used; the web pages and content you viewed; the links you clicked on while navigating within our Site; the type of content you accessed; the sites you visited before and after our Site; search terms you entered; unique identifiers, including non-global mobile device identification numbers; whether you have opened or forwarded our newsletter; and information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other tracking technologies. If you allow our Site to have access to your location information and you have enabled location services on your phone, we also collect your precise location information.
- When you interact with us via social media: your social media handle and other information provided by you including the contents of your posts, messages, or communications with Grid. The third party social media sites we partner with to publish articles and market products to you also may collect or receive information about your use of our Site. For example, Facebook advertising tools may help us identify people who read Grid or who interact with our content.
- When you contact us: the information you provide including your contact information, location, company, and the contents of the communication.
- When you register for a service, subscription, or complete a payment: your account information, such as your name, email address and password, any interests, demographic or professional information you provide, and any information needed to complete the transaction, including your payment card number.
- When you complete a survey or sign up for or attend an event: your name, contact information (email, mailing address, phone number), demographic information, professional information, interests, and other information you provide. If the event is paid, we will collect payment information needed to complete the transaction including name and payment card number.
Information Collected from Third Parties
We also may collect information about you through non-affiliated third parties, such as market research firms and public sources. Depending on the source, this information could include demographic information and brand and media consumption information. We may combine information that we collect about you through the Site with information that we obtain from these or other third parties.
- Analytics Services We use third-party analytics services to help analyze how users use our Site. The information generated by the cookies or other technologies about your use of our Site is transmitted to third parties, who use that information to compile reports on user activity. We also collect anonymized, cookie-based demographics data from third parties to analyze the composition of our audience.
How We Use the Information
- Providing you with a good experience when you are interacting with our Site, including to improve the design, functionality, and content.
- Implementing reasonable security measures to protect the Site and the information we collect and store, and ensuring compliance with the Site’s policies and the law.
- Personalizing your experience with our Site, including providing a customized experience based on your interests or location.
- Marketing and promoting products and services, from both us and our affiliates, business partners, and other third parties, and for determining the effectiveness of our marketing and promotional campaigns to better adapt them to the needs and interests of readers.
- Facilitating the sharing of information from and about our Site and other interactions via social media.
- Communicating with you, including to notify you of changes to our terms of service or policies, to provide customer service, to contact you about your account, and to make you offers.
- Sending you push notifications on your mobile device if you have opted to receive them.
- To generate data for other uses, after we have anonymized or aggregated Information so that it will not longer be considered personal information.
Sharing and Disclosure
We also may share or disclose the Information under the following circumstances:
- When you have consented.
- For legal or law enforcement purposes, including for example in response to a subpoena or court order, or in response to a request from a law enforcement agency.
- In connection with the prevention of fraud, an investigation by us of potential illegal activities, efforts to prevent or take action regarding potential illegal activities or violations of our terms of service or policies, to protect the rights and safety of others, or as otherwise required by law.
- With third-parties that provide services to us, such as those maintaining and hosting our Site, conducting marketing, handling payments, delivering newsletters, conducting research and analytics, or providing customer service. These companies include Mailchimp.
- With business partners and third parties who may want to market products or services to you, if you have not opted out of such communications.
- With sponsors and other third parties who may partner with us on events, programming, and promotions. These entities may collect or obtain information from or about you, and we will not control their use of that information. It will be governed by their respective policies and practices.
- With advertising networks.
- Our Site may contain links to other sites. We do not control the information practices of these third party sites, and any Information you provide will be governed by their policies and terms.
Third Party Services
We will make reasonable efforts to honor your request to access, delete, or opt out of sharing or selling your information as described in this Policy.
- You can opt out by filling out this form, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can change the setting on your mobile device to disable sharing location information.
- You can opt out of using cookies on our Site by updating your cookie settings, or change your browser settings to not accept cookies from any site. Be aware that opting out of all cookies may impact the functionality of the Site.
- Depending on where you live, you may have additional rights. If you have questions or would like to change your preferences or exercise any other rights, you may fill out this form or email email@example.com
Do Not Track
Please note that we do not currently take actions to respond to “Do Not Track” signals from internet browsers, as there currently is no universally accepted standard on how to respond to these signals.
To obtain information about or to access Information that we have collected about you, please fill out this form, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see below for additional information that may be applicable to you.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures designed to protect Information. We also require service providers to have reasonable measures designed to help safeguard the Information we collect. However, no security measures are perfect, and we cannot guarantee that Information that we collect will never be accessed or used in an unauthorized way.
Readers Outside the United States
The Site is intended for a general, adult audience. Readers must be thirteen (13) years of age or older to use our Site. We do not knowingly collect data or information from children. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without proper consent, they should contact us via the avenues identified in the “Contact Us” section below.